Saturday, June 30, 2007

Boy Scouts and family commitments

I've been out of town since June 24 and am still not yet back home--though in front of a computer for the first time in almost a week.

I'll hope to have some commentary on the Supreme Court decisions, among other things, this coming week--though work issues and yes, synagogue issues may get in the way, too. Again, you read that right. You're reading the blog of someone who happens to be the president of the local, Poway Conservative synagogue known as Ner Tamid (I assumed office on May 27, 2007). Yes, the heretic shall lead them, I suppose...And so far, it's been a whirlwind and somewhat fun to help the synagogue, which has had a perfect storm of crises: financial, leadership and clergy. We are moving toward solving short term problems. The key will be setting the foundation to solve long-term problems.

Anyway, gotta go. I just returned from Catalina Island's Cherry Valley Boy Scout camp, and a week of dirt-living in tents with my son. As a proud Dad, allow me to say Andrew is making his way to the "Star" level in Boy Scouts. He is then going to go for "Life" level and finally, "Eagle Scout." I'm so proud of him!

And Shayna, my daughter, just "bridged" from Brownies to Juniors! Hooray!

Yup. We're the economic populist family, with less than lefty cultural values. Marx would understand, and so would Eugene Debs...and Mother Jones herself!

(Edited! Goodness, was I tired!)

2 Comments:

At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello from Kalamazoo, where I am an Elder at my church. I am wondering how you can lead a religious institution if you are a self-proclaimed heretic.
I was put on this earth to spread the good word of our Lord and Savior and I never heard of a heretic leading his flock. Can you explain why you feel you have been "called" to lead?

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger Mitchell J. Freedman said...

Often, heretics are the ones who help an institution adapt when provided the opportunity to lead. As a Christian, wouldn't you admit Jesus was a Jewish heretic?

I would have never expected to lead if the synagogue was doing well. It's in crisis. Therefore, for the institution to survive, it must try new things and make a fresh start.

Plus, the interesting thing is, I am not really that much of a heretic in what I'm currently doing, which is to help provide the synagogue with choices for new clergy, provide some hope for the community, cut the deficit, and spark interest in different types of community oriented programs to increase membership.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home