Thursday, February 25, 2010

Charlie Wilson's Legacy...and a memory of Al Haig

I missed the news that Charlie Wilson, the famed Congressman with the penchant for adventure, boozing and womanizing, has died. Unfortunately, Wilson is seen as a hero when in fact he was a...well, not quite a pawn, but certainly no more than a rook, in contributing to the rise of Islamic fundamentalists as a threat to our nation's security.

See here for my discussion of the book, "Charlie Wilson's War," by the late George Crile when the film version arrived in theaters across America.

And I had not commented on Al Haig's death--no, not that Al Haig!--just because I did not want to say anything too harsh. I met the military Haig in 1978 when I worked for a congressman, and frankly, he was a charming and bright person. Too bad he was not a wonderful guy if you were a peasant in southeast Asia or Latin America...My favorite Al Haig story is when William Watts resigned from the NSC over Nixon's invasion of Cambodia, and...well, read it here.

1 Comments:

At 6:31 AM, Anonymous paulr said...

Thanks Mitch - once again you have turned me on to interesting stuff.
Now I must track down a copy of Death of a Bebop Wife - certainly one of the all-time great book titles!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home