Saturday, February 13, 2010

Timely folk songs for a Satuday night

Here is the Chad Mitchell Trio on the Tea Baggers' true forebears in a song from the early 1960s.

And don't play this mid-1960s Phil Ochs song for anyone who has to ship out to Afghanistan. Might be too subversive...

Bonus songs: Protest song from the 1840s, sung a capella by the anarchist pop group, Chumbawumba.*

And here is a new version of an old English anti-work song from Chumbawumba, "I wish they'd sack me..." One should be careful to long for the good old days, even as we find new meaning in old songs.

* Yes, the same band who did this clever pop song which my children would dance along with me when they were very young. Well, maybe it's more accurate to say they acted out the lyrics: They'd push me down, and I'd get up again, and then they knocked down again, and...well, you know the rest. Then they'd laugh while singing "pissing the night away..." and listing the various drinks, to which my wife would shake her head trying to think how to explain it all to her mother and especially my mine. Now, those good old days might be worthwhile for a visit!

2 Comments:

At February 18, 2010 at 8:58:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mitch,

Explain to me why you feel it is good form to use a sexually derogatove term to describe a group based on their political beliefs ( you know exactly what "tea bagger" means ) yet if someone was to use a remotely off color comment about say, Obama, and referred to him as an "Oreo" would you flip a gasket? As an intelligent guy, it just makes me question every other comment when you resort to labels for people who's political views you don't agree with.
How is "tea bagger" not a subtle form of hate speech?
Is "kike" an acceptable term for Jews who's views I don't agree with?
Seriously, apply the same standard when you make your arguments, and you'll get more respect than when you resort to labels and name calling.
Lame.

 
At February 19, 2010 at 9:56:00 PM PST, Blogger Mitchell J. Freedman said...

I do know the phrase "tea bag" has a sexual meaning, but truly I forget what it is (and have no interest in looking it up). It was not at all in my mind when I used the phrase in the post. I was using what I think is a description many of these folks seem to be using themselves, though others have tried to warn them off that usage.

Also, if it is akin to "kike" or "Oreo," then what can you say about the photos of people wearing tea bags at the various rallies such folks attend? One rarely sees Jews using the word "kike" to describe themselves. Plus, I don't know any African-Americans who say "I am an Oreo and I'm proud," or wear "oreos" hanging from their hats.

Nice try at your outrage, though. I think you may be better off telling those wearing tea bags that maybe they need a different phrase to describe themselves.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home