Sunday, October 17, 2010

MJF on propositions: Listen to the League of Women Voters of CA

My take on the propositions is largely the same as the League of Women Voters of California. See here.

For reasons I find somewhat obscure, the League did not take positions on Propositions 19, 21 and 22.

On Prop 19, I'm worried about legalizing pot, but more worried about how people get put in jail for a long time for smoking pot. So, my libertarian sensibilities say, "Let's try it," Eric Holder be damned. But folks, let's get real. If federal law is applied, and it will be, this proposition goes nowhere even if it passes. And that's because the US Supreme Court has upheld federal authority over the states in regulating and banning marijuana as a Schedule I Controlled Substance. I wonder if we can convince Congress to stop classifying marijuana as a Schedule I Controlled Substance. If it is a Schedule II, then States might have more control over how they want to regulate or ban marijuana. Not gonna happen, though, is it?

On Prop 21, I'm fine with paying an extra $18 on my car tax if it helps State Parks and protects wildlife there. So, yes on Prop 21.

On Prop 22, I don't understand why we should protect local redevelopment agencies and take more money from education. We've already taken over $8 billion from education in our state budgets over the past several years, and I don't want to see more taken. So, no on Prop 22.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home